Pro-Life

Abortion Advocate Quotes

Rather than offer commentary, I’ll let the quotes speak for themselves. Read these quotes, they will challenge you to decide for yourself if this is the logic you’d like to use.

“We are failing to segregate morons who are increasing and multiplying . . . a dead weight of human waste . . .an ever-increasing spawning class of human beings who never should have been born at all.” -Margaret Sanger

“”We really need to get over this love affair with the fetus and start worrying about children.”- Jocelyn Elders

“…A pro-choice advocate sees abortion as a decision to be made in accordance with the best scientific opinion as to when the beginning of life, as we know it, occurs.”

…followed by “I should have known better. Pro-life arguments are now based on scientific evidence and the pro-choice arguments are not. That is a cultural, historical fact.” -Stanley Fish

“When the death of a disabled infant will lead to the birth of another infant with better prospects of a happy life, the total amount of happiness will be greater if the disabled infant is killed. The loss of happy life for the first infant is outweighed by the gain of a happier life for the second. Therefore, if killing the hemophiliac infant has no adverse effect on others, it would, according to the total view, be right to kill him.” -Peter Singer (emphasis mine)

“The status of her fetus and any moral value accorded to it is entirely her call. A fetus becomes a human being when the woman carrying it decides it does. Joyce Arthur (her emphasis)

“…what he says really doesn’t matter because he’s a man…  In short, when men start choosing to be fathers, that’s when they will have the right to pipe in on whether women can choose to be mothers. Until then men, your opinion just doesn’t matter.” -Stella Ramsaroop (emphasis mine, here, an article entitled “Why Men Should Have No Say On The Abortion Issue”)

“I do think abortion is murder–of a very special and necessary sort”- Magda Denes

“Not everybody is meant to be born. I believe, for a baby, life begins when his mother wants him.” -Jim Newhall

“As a woman who is staunchly pro-choice I have never denied ‘personhood’ to the fetus… One might then make the leap of logic that I would agree that abortion is murder. I do not. The killing of another human being, murder if you will, is judged by degrees based on intent. There is first degree murder, which is considered the most heinous and premeditated. There is second degree murder which is less heinous than first degree but will still get you life. There is manslaughter which is a heat of passion defense and, in this society, punished to a lesser extent than first or second degree murder. Then there are those catagories [sic] of killing that are not considered ‘crimes’ at all. These include killing during times of war or killing in self defense. I contend that abortion is always a killing done in self defense, and, therefore, morally justified.” – A customer review of a pro-life book here.

“Abortion liberates women from the life of a whore/slave and allows her to control her own life and decide for herself when and with whom she will have children. ” Here

8 thoughts on “Abortion Advocate Quotes

1. Hi J. W.,
    These are telling, and frightening, quotes. We’ve lost a lot of respect for life in our culture.

Posted by fleance7 | April 11, 2010, 11:36 AM
    • Frightening is the best word to describe it all, if you ask me. There is no respect for life evident in these quotes. I also find it very telling that the pro choice woman writes that a man’s opinion doesn’t matter. Where’s the “choice” in that? Once we deny that any category of human beings are “persons”, we walk down a dark path.

Posted by J.W. Wartick | April 11, 2010, 10:27 PM
    • “The most merciful thing that a family does to one of its infant members is to kill it.” – Margaret Sanger.

The quotes are indeed disturbing, so I researched the topic just a little — starting with the first quote (time prevents me now from looking at any more).

While Margaret Sanger is indeed quite controversial in many of her views, reading her biography at Wikipedia gave me a different impression than this quote implies. Here is one commentary on this quote that I found online …

***********************************************************************
      As for the quote itself, the second part – “The most merciful thing that a family does to one of its infant members is to kill it” – is from Chapter V of Ms. Sanger’s Woman and the New Race. This chapter is titled “The Wickedness of Creating Large Families.” Ms. Sanger, in this chapter, argues against the practice, at that time, of families having 4, 7, 10 or even more children out of habit. This was a time when hundreds of thousands of infants were dying in this country, many of malnutrition. The argument was against this continued practice. It was against families having babies simply because they did not think of preventing pregnancy. It was an argument for birth control. It was definitely not, as Mr. Gardner tries to lead belief to, an argument for abortion.
      **************************************************************

From this perspective there is indeed some evidence for respect for life – the idea that it would be better to avoid pregnancy if the likely outcome was the suffering and slow death of the child.

I guess my two points are:
      1) Quotes are not always exactly as they seem.
      2) Quoting the most controversial advocates of any position creates a strawman — easy to attack but not necessarily representing the mainstream of the opposition.

Posted by Tim Folkerts | April 13, 2010, 4:24 PM
      • Thank you for your response, Mr. Folkerts. I suppose my main problem with even this line of reasoning, that is “there is indeed some evidence for respect for life – the idea that it would be better to avoid pregnancy if the likely outcome was the suffering and slow death of the child” contrasted with her statement that it is merciful to kill an infant. In the commentary you quoted, it is stated that this is an argument for birth control, not abortion. But what part of birth control is killing infants? Either Sanger was very confused about the biology of pregnancy–thinking that somehow preventing pregnancy meant killing an “infant”, or she is indeed saying something about abortion, or, worse, about infanticide.

I would agree that preventing the pregnancy may be the better choice in the situation. But what about after the baby is conceived? Is it more merciful to kill this “infant” now rather than giving it a chance at life? Is it more merciful to tear him or her out of his/her mother’s womb as opposed to allowing him or her to be born, even possibly die?

I agree, quotes are not always exactly as they seem. And yes, quoting the most controversial advocates creates a straw man. But, is that what I did? What of those quotes simply from an anonymous user on Amazon, or what of my quote from an online “E-zine”? I don’t think these are the most controversial advocates. These are views of people simply online talking about pro-choice. Their views may be extreme, but I think they are a wholly logical continuation of the argumentation that leads to abortion in the first place. Once killing infants is allowed on any level, it can be readily expanded. Once humanity is taken from people, once we try to decide who is or is not a “person”, that’s when atrocities happen. I personally think abortion already is an atrocity.

Then, there is a religious aspect to something like Sanger’s quote. I think it is extremely wrong for a Christian to condone something like abortion, for it puts a soul in jeopardy. The Bible doesn’t clearly indicate whether or not aborted children are in heaven (I personally think they are, but that’s beside the point). It reminds me of a video (here) in which an atheist–Penn Jillette–states “how much do you have to hate somebody to not proselytize them?” I think that such words have significant impact in even a discussion like this–how much do we have to hate our children that we don’t even give them a chance to be born, baptized, and eternal life?

Posted by J.W. Wartick | April 13, 2010, 4:54 PM
      • Hi, Tim. Lest you think that Margaret Sanger is being made to sound worse than she was, may I offer you a link to a book written by her? It’s Pivot of Civilization. You can download it and read it for yourself. She thinks that birth/population control is in keeping with Jesus’ Sermon on the Mount. No, really. I’m not kidding. I hope that when you have time, you’ll read it and some of the many many articles on the web about Ms. Sanger and the eugenics movement.

Peace be with you, Tim. And you, too, JW! 🙂

Posted by Disciple | April 16, 2010, 10:54 PM
      • As the other replies show, *killing an infant* has nothing to do with contraception, or even avoiding pregnancy, unless you are talking about abortion.

Posted by Gail | February 28, 2012, 7:26 PM

1. Pingback: Pro-Choice, unless you’re a man « - April 18, 2010

2. Pingback: Sources for Pro-life Apologetics « Ratio Christi- Apologetics At The Ohio State University - October 22, 2012